Zumba® Classes in Maryland
Zumba® is a contagious blend of Latin, R&B and Pop dance styles, as well as international rhythms that fuses fitness, entertainment and culture into an exhilarating dance -party workout that blend upbeat world rhythms with easy to-follow choreography to provide effective, total-body workouts. It is a calorie-burning and body-energizing experience that started in the late 1980’s Alberto “Beto” Perez in Cali, Columbia and has spread to six continent and established credibility with the American Council of Exercise, the Aerobic Fitness Association of American and the IDEA Health and Fitness Association. Zumba classes offer a high-intensity cardiovascular workout that last 50 minutes to an hour.
Zumba provides a workout for the whole body. From head and shoulder rolls that loosen up the neck and warm up the upper body, to footwork that strengthens and stretches calves and ankles, this fitness method touches on nearly every muscle and joint. Hips and abs receive particular attention in the Latin dance style.
Benefits of Zumba
The benefits of Zumba include:
- It’s a total body workout — Zumba provides a total body toning routine along with a heart pumping aerobic workout. It’s a way to get toned, benefit the heart, and burn calories all at the same time
- It’s upbeat and fun — The music is lively and the mood is incredibly upbeat in a Zumba exercise class. Time goes by quickly because the dance routines are anything but boring. Most people look forward to coming to class – and so they keep coming – and seeing results
- It’s a great stress reliever — Zumba dance routines are all about releasing your inhibitions and losing yourself in the movements. Some people who attend Zumba classes say it’s better than therapy
- It’s a form of interval training — Zumba incorporates the principles of interval training into every workout by using alternating fast and slow sequences to vary the intensity. An hour spent in a Zumba class can burn as many as 800 calories
- It tones the abdominals — Many of the Zumba Latin, R&B, and Pop dance style moves are a great way to work the core abdominal muscles – the girdle of muscles that gives the pelvis its strength. This means firmer abdominals and a lower risk of back pain.
Our Maryland Zumba Classes
In true Zumba fashion, all of Dancemakers’ Zumba classes are Latin, R&B, and Pop dance styles and there is no large learning curve. New participants receive small-scale steps rehearsals before some longer dances. However, in most cases, first-timers can simply jump right into a class and follow along with our instructor. Our instructors are licensed, certified, and trained in toning, basic Zumba, and Zumba customized for older adults and novice exercisers.
Contact us today to sign up for our new adult Zumba classes. Our dance studio in Lanham, MD is only a short drive from Washington, DC, Prince George’s County, and eastern Montgomery County!
Call us at 301.276.0881 or fill out a contact form to get started!